COMPARE AND CONTRAST WUTHERING HEIGHTS
THE MOVIE TO THE BOOK
The movie version of Emily Bronte's classic Wuthering Heights may confuse viewers who recently read the book or may have vividly remembered it. Unlike the book, Heathcliff has a softer side, which only turns darker when Catherine's brother, Hindley, takes over the estate after the death of Mr. Earnshaw. Hindley was vicious to Heathcliff as a child when his father brought the gypsy home.
What's missing from this movie adaptation is the hatred Heathcliff shows his fellow man and particularly on Hindley. Eventually this hatred and darkness also descends on Catherine after she marries Edgar Linton. More than just Heathcliff's edges are softened in this adaptation. He's kinder to Isabella, Catherine, and the subsequent children. Heathcliff's ending is much calmer than the downward spiral in the novel. Catherine also is a much softer, more lovable character in this adaptation. She could be just as harsh as Healthcliff at times. The ending also is more hopeful.
I must say that Wuthering Height the movie was quite different from the book that I read, I felt that there were a lot of details that were missing in the movie from the book . Overall I enjoyed watching the movie, and I am suddenly interested in the other works of Emily Bronte.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment